1. We find the amount of vision the patient has by performing a low vision evaluation. It is not anything like a regular eye exam:
- We use special charts and techniques to “draw out” any residual vision that may be “hiding” in the periphery.
- We recheck the regular eyeglass prescription to improve it if possible.
- We see how magnification affects the level of vision.
- We find out the amount of vision needed to do the task desired with very specific questions and demonstrations.
2. We find the amount of vision needed to do the task desired with very specific questions and demonstrations.
- We ask the patient to bring samples of print they want to see (racing charts, stock market pages, automobile repair manuals…).
- We ask the patient to bring samples of activities they do (needlework, spark plugs, bridge cards…).
3. We determine the best magnification device and system that allows the person to do the task by having many unique demonstrators in the office.